I’m officially converted to OrganiCup and I wouldn’t go back to tampons now. There are many brands of menstrual cups on the market, but OrganiCup won me because it has been awarded “Product of the Year” twice and received the “Excellence Award” from BuyMeOnce in the sustainability category.
How to use the menstrual cup OrganiCup
- First of all, make sure to wash your hands with soap and to sanitize your menstrual cup, by leaving it in boiling water for 5 minutes.
- Then, take the cup and fold it using the “Punch-Down” fold method or the “C” fold method*. Keep it folded as it is in your hands until it is inside your vagina.
- Once it is inside, let it unfold it. You may hear a “pop” sound because, if placed correctly, it creates a suction seal.
> *Organicup has done an amazing video-tutorial that I suggest you watch here.
There are three sizes:
- MINI = for teens
- A = for those who haven’t given birth vaginally
- B = for those who have given birth vaginally
It’s not a “one size fits all” product, so you might try one size and realize that you’ve gotten the wrong one. It’s not a problem though, because OrganiCup offers a size exchange or a full refund if you don’t feel comfortable with it after three periods.
For reference, I’ve always used the purple and yellow Tampax, and I bought myself a size A, as recommended. At first, it was a bit uncomfortable, mainly because the stem was sticking out a bit and I thought I ordered the wrong size. Well, it wasn’t the size that was wrong, it was me! I just had to get used to it and get better at placing it correctly.
How to clean it?
During your period you can rinse your OrganiCup with water and soap (as long as it’s perfume-free and pH-balanced).
After each period, you must sterilize it in boiling water and put it away in its own pouch.
How long does it last?
Organicup is made of medical-grade silicone, which has been tested to last up to 10 years!
It might get stained after a while, however, even if you wish to replace it before the ten-year mark, you would have reduced the waste anyway.
Why I love OrganiCup so much
Here’s my review:
- It’s way more hygienic: you don’t have to spend time with blood in your knickers = no smell.
- It’s better than a Tampax: you don’t have to worry about changing it every 3\4 hours, because OrganiCup can be used for up to 12 hours at a time, also during the night.
- You don’t risk the toxic shock syndrome
- You don’t have to remember to take a spare one with you.
The only issue I’m still working on after 4 periods is the leaking. I have read and watched many tutorials on how to insert it correctly, however, I often notice small leaks.
I’ve never had troubles taking it out; honestly, it can’t really get stuck because if you push (like you were about to give birth lol) it will descend.
My overall opinion about OrganiCup is extremely positive
I’m officially converted to the menstrual cup OrganiCup and I wouldn’t go back to tampons now.
You can save A LOT OF MONEY, help the environment and have an enjoyable period experience. Talking about sustainability, you may want to check out this blog post about bamboo pads, a great alternative to cotton pads.
I’m here for #TheNewPeriod! And you?